1. Main characteristics of plastic granules
A material made from plastic granules consists of at least one thermoplastic product. Typically taking on the appearance of small grains, these granules are melted, extruded or molded to produce products made of polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), polystyrene (PS), etc.
Plastic granules come in many colors and shapes.
2. Main applications of plastic granules
Plastic granules are often used in the chemical compound and plastic industries.
3. Industrial handling of plastic granules
Plastic granules are frequently found in extrusion and injection processes. This material is easy to store and handle in various industrial operations (filling, emptying, mixing, etc.).
Certain plastic granules (Polyamide or PA, Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene or ABS, Polybutylene terephthalate or PBT, Polymethyl methacrylate or PMMA, etc.) are hygroscopic and must undergo a pre-drying process before handling to avoid humidity related issues.
4. Applications of plastic granules with Palamatic Process equipment
The packaging of plastic granules can be done in big bags, octabins or 25 kg plastic bags via a handling pallet. In high volume operations of plastic granules the process equipment is often supplied by a silo.
The storage of plastic granules is typically conducted via stainless steel silos or bulk bags with the integration of anti-explosive protections (explosion vent, specific filters, inerting of the hoppers). Intermediate weighed hoppers provide buffers for the supply of screw feeders. The loss-in-weight screw feeders provide a continuous and precise dosing to the extruder. Premixing (turbo-mixing) lines are installed upstream of the extrusion to allow handling and introduction of micro-ingredients.
All storage, deconditioning, transfer, weighing and dosing equipment is connected and controlled from a PLC (control PC). In addition to the controlling function, this supervision program allows production traceability.
For plastic recycling, stages of sieving, crushing, crumbling and micronization are necessary before it is remelted and reused. Palamatic Process has a wide range of particle size reduction equipment consisting of a GR® granulator, a UM® pin crusher and an EC® lump breaker.
A turnkey extruder feed process line has been designed for a sector such as compounding. It allows products to be fed regularly, high precision dosing and optional cleaning. Discover ExtruFlow®.
5. Customer applications Palamatic Process with plastic granulate
Palamatic Process has several facilities in the compound and plastics sector currently in operation.
- An installation allowing the reconditioning of gaylords in tanker trucks with plastic granules to facilitate transport and provide silo storage.
- An additive feed facility for an extrusion line dedicated to plastic granules.
- A desiccant installation for the stackers before coating with PVC powders.
- A big bag filling installation in silos for a compound manufacturer.
- A raw material deconditioning unit, preparation of masterbatch mixture and incorporation on an extruder line.